Invisalign is a custom-made plastic aligner that straightens your teeth without wires. It fits over your teeth and is changed every two weeks till your teeth is aligned properly. If you’re looking for an orthodontic treatment to straighten your misaligned teeth without it being obvious, then Invisalign may be the right choice for you.
To teach you about this dental appliance, our experts are going over all its important things that you should know before getting it in this blog-post.
The Process of Getting Invisalign
The dentist will check your teeth and then decide whether it is suitable for you or not. This is because if you need severe straightening or re-spacing, then Invisalign may not be the appropriate treatment. Once decided that Invisalign is the appropriate option, then your dentist will customize it based on your teeth. Some dental clinics use 3D Imaging Technology to show you how your smile will appear with Invisalign over the course of the treatment.
Do’s and Don’ts
Invisalign is a convenient dental option as you can take it out when you eat and drink. But you need to keep it clean to prevent germs, odour and discolouration. There are a few do’s and don’ts that you should follow to keep it in good condition.
- Whenever you take out your aligners, wash it thoroughly with running water to remove saliva, bacteria and food particles.
- Soak your aligners in cleaning crystals regularly.
- You should also keep your teeth clean along with your aligners. Brush and floss daily to prevent the build-up of bacteria and plaque under the aligners.
- Clean your Invisalign with a clear, anti-bacterial soft soap to prevent plaque and bacteria build-up.
- If you brush your aligners, then make sure you do so carefully to prevent scratches and marks.
- Avoid eating or drinking with your aligners as they can get stained easily and food can get stuck leading to odour.
- You shouldn’t use whitening toothpaste and hard bristled toothbrush to clean Invisalign trays as they can lead to unwanted scratches reducing its clarity.
The Difference Between Traditional Braces and Invisalign
The function of Invisalign and traditional braces is to straighten your teeth but they have major differences. Follow the table below to learn what they are:
1. Made of metal wires
Made of durable thermoplastic
2. Visible to the eyes and can hamper your appearance
Invisible and less obvious to the eyes
Expensive and need to be changed in two weeks
4. Durable and don’t get coffee or wine stains easily
Delicate and get stained easily
5. Appropriate for fixing severe dental issues like overcrowded teeth
Suitable for fixing misaligned teeth
6. Cannot be removed once fixed until the treatment is over
Can be removed whenever required
Advantages of Invisalign
If you’re planning to wear these clear aligners, you’re sure to enjoy the following advantages:
- It is invisible which makes it less obvious to the eyes when you wear it.
- It can be removed whenever you want but make sure you wear them for a minimum of twenty-two hours per day.
- You can get speedy results in less than six months of treatment.
Side-Effects Invisalign Treatment
Though Invisalign has become a great alternative to metal braces, they have some side-effects:
You might face discomfort when you start wearing Invisalign. It can irritate your lips, gums and tongue for a few days until you get used to it. Also, the attachments which allow the Invisalign to get a better grip over the teeth can be uncomfortable.
You might get some allergies with the plastic used to make this dental appliance. But it’s a rare scenario and even if it happens, you can ask for a full refund from your orthodontist.
- Bad Breath
If you don’t keep your aligners clean, then there might be a foul smell in your mouth. Make sure to drink enough water and brush twice a day to keep your mouth and aligners clean.
As a thin layer of plastic covers the teeth, some patients develop a lisping problem for a few days initially. The best solution to this problem is to wear them and practise speaking until you get comfortable.
This is another side-effect in the initial period as you’re not used to wearing a dental appliance. Once you get used to your aligners, you won’t bite the inside of your cheeks.
Invisalign is safe, invisible, efficient and convenient. If you can treat your misaligned teeth in less time and in an easy way, then why not choose this option? Consult your orthodontist in Brampton first to see if this is what you need to fix your smile.